Avatar

Mech Monday

  • As mentioned on Flickr: Looking forward, curious what you've prepared for upcoming Mondays.


    Mech-wise i'm always struggling to connect arms and legs in a proper (poseable) way. Using those "Ball/Joint"-Combos as shoulders seems like a very good solution!

  • Thanks, Marcel.

    The turret balls are actually a bad solution for any joint that carries the weight of more than a few smaller bricks. The friction is very low so it is hard to pose them or get them to stay where you want and not where gravity wants to pull them, especially if you want to film rotation on a turntable; the vibrations don't help one bit! The angles aren't all that great either, so you don't get as much as you would with a standard ball joint. For this model I had to attach each shoulder ball to another joint (Technic pins) in order to work around this problem. Attaching the ball to another (proper) ball joint would be even better but there was no room because of the cannons. Even with all that, I simply had to use them in this model because they were the perfect solution to replicate the looks of the RX-77-2's shoulders. They are what I based my model around and they determined the scale; however, if looks are not what you are going for, I wouldn't recommend them.


    P.S.

    I tried cheating with inserting a rubber band in the socket, but because the balls are split in two parts, there was not enough room to squeeze the second half in. I guess using stickers on the passive half of the ball (the one that sits idly in the socket) could work, but I don't have any stickers to spare for the purpose and I'm not sure how many layers it would take for the desired effect.

  • Thanks, Ben!


    Btw, Marcel, I've just discovered an elegant solution to the friction problem. You know the 2x3 light bricks that have their own batteries? They come with those small pieces of plastic you need to pull out in order for the lights to work. Well, I used those, one per socket, and it works like a charm. It doesn't seem like stressing the bricks yet the friction is significantly improved.

  • Avatar

    Thanks, Ben!


    Btw, Marcel, I've just discovered an elegant solution to the friction problem. You know the 2x3 light bricks that have their own batteries? They come with those small pieces of plastic you need to pull out in order for the lights to work. Well, I used those, one per socket, and it works like a charm. It doesn't seem like stressing the bricks yet the friction is significantly improved.

    Haha :D Sounds purist to me, might come in handy in a few other situations with friction problems.

  • Taking a break from Gundam with this robot, a cute little wind-up toy. What it lacks in articulation it makes up for in character.

    This model is dedicated to the guys at Build Better Bricks. If don't know them, go check them out because they rock.


    (the picture is a link to a short video with 360° views of various poses)


    Join in on the fun and see what other people have built so far in the Flickr group.


    See you next Monday!

  • So, it's Commenting Tuesday for me now, i guess.


    Great to see you guys building week by week....but the race has just began. Good to see you experimenting, love the use of technic bricks to achieve his visor. Beside that the lime green part is well executed, no clue how the "feather-part" is properly called.


    I would recommend to maybe reuse those fingers in future mechs, looks like a great, sleek solution!

  • Hi Marin,


    I love your new mech. It reminds me a little bit on a character from League of Legends, if i see the proportions of your mech. I also like the technic of the hands and that they can hold thw sword and the shield.


    Can't waiting till the release of the next mech and hope that you can understand my english.


    Niklas

Erstelle ein Konto oder melde dich an um einen Kommentar abzugeben

Sie müssen Mitglied sein um ein Kommentar zu hinterlassen.